Old Trumpets and Inspections

Old Bach Stradivarius

If you read my last post, I mentioned that though the audition was a total failure, I got a lot out of the time I spent playing with my friend EJ. Of the many things I gained from playing with such a smart and fantastic musician, two major things stuck. Besides re-fueling a fire inside me to be even better than I already am, I learned I've been over blowing/playing/working on trumpet AND my Bb trumpet has become dull and leaky. I think a lot of the overblowing was due to my leaky horn.

I hate equipment, I don't like thinking about equipment, changing equipment, trying other peoples equipment, or anything to do with equipment. In my mind I want to believe that every trumpet plays well, and the player is what makes it play great. I'm slowly realizing that the equipment has been holding me back. I have been reluctant to listen to people telling me my Bb trumpet sounds bad but found out first hand this week that they were spot on. My trumpet has had red rot (a type of metal decay that happens when minerals/grime/etc sits in a horn for too long) in the lead pipe for well over 5 years, and it has begun to affect the things I am able to do on my instrument. It was time to make a change!

I ended up buying the new Bach 190S27, which is a small upgrade from my old 180S37. It plays like a dream, range has improved, tone has improved, and overall ease of playing has improved. It's so much easier and enjoyable to play again.

A tip for anyone out there, have your instrument inspected by a professional every now and then. Trumpets are so varied, and once you get used to one it's hard to tell there is anything wrong. Handing your instrument to a teacher can help diagnose any leaks, inconsistencies, or manufacturing issues with your trumpet. There is a 99% chance it's you who is making the horn sound bad, but a 1% chance it's your equipment.